Ask the Toastmasters’ world champion of public speaking “how did you do it?” and Presiyan Vasilev will, kindly and willingly, share his journey and experience with you. He did just that during an educational open house hosted by View Masters at Willis Tower (Club #1933228) on February 3, 2014 at the Metropolitan Club.
“In my mind, Toastmasters is about education and you gain confidence and leadership skills from that. Pres' talk did just that; stressing that the key to becoming an accomplished speaker is the art of evaluation,” stated Bruce Chambers.
POWER IN SIMPLICITY
- What are the strengths?
- What can be improved?
- Any unanswered questions?
- What was the message?
- How did it make you feel?
- Stepping backward to add physical meaning to emotions like fear or sadness.
- Walk diagonally from back stage left to front stage right to illustrate a long distance travelled, like flying from New York to Los Angeles.
Key Phrase Repeated
Shurook Albanna ~ Third Place
“Finding the Pear”
Key Phrase I 5X
Key Phrase II 4X
Kingli Biddle ~ Second Place
“The Sitting Place”
Presiyan Vasilev ~ First Place
“Changed By A Tire”
- Be authentic. Speak from your hear/your experiences.
- Openness. Be open to ideas, even the crazy ones. Be open to feedback.
- Practice. Never miss an opportunity to practice.
- Repetition. Key phrases, concepts, and “you”.
- Balance. Humor vs drama. Action vs stillness.
- Study. Never stop learning. Reach out to mentors.
- Details. Every aspect, every word, every detail matters.
- Persistence. Never give up on your story.
February 18, 2014
Article by Joann Sondy, View Masters VP-PR